A short vacay in Krabi can be packed with a lot of fun things to do. You need to get out to the town and find an agency to book any tour or activity. We found this cheaper than booking online. Since you only need to book a day before, it’s quite convenient. However, if you’re going during a peak season like December, you’d have to check availability beforehand.
Ao Nang Beach
This was close to our hotel and is a wonderful place to spend evenings. We sat for hours, watching the sunset and waves, sipping our Chang beers. You could feel the beautiful wet sand between your toes and enjoy the rippling waves that wash up. The beach is very clean and ideal to spend some quality time with family and friends.
The Four-Island Tour
There are a lot of tour options and after careful consideration, we picked this. You can either pick a speedboat or a longtail boat. The longtail boat is cheaper but will take longer to get to the islands. We chose the longtail boat and got the tour for 350 Baht per head. There is 400 Baht per head national park charge too. So it’s around 750 Baht per head. The four islands – Railay Beach, Tub Island, Chicken Island, and Poda Island are amazingly beautiful.
This beautiful island is just a perfect paradise with its white sand and bluish green water. You’re alotted around 45 mins here and you’d want to spend all that time just wading and swimming in the water.
The island that looks like a chicken’s head peeking out. Amazingly beautiful and here you get to snorkel. The boat will stop here and you can just jump in with your life jacket and snorkeling gear (provided by the tour) and just swim and enjoy all the underwater glory. Do take good care of the snorkeling gear coz you need to return exactly the ones you took. Failing to do so, they will charge you a steep 2000 Baht for lost snorkeling gear!
Close to the Chicken Island, this one is just clear, calm water with a beautiful strip of white sand. Ideal place for you to take pics of yourself in the mermaid poise 😉
The last and the largest island on the list. The tour includes lunch and this is where you get it. By the time you get here, you’re bound to be pretty tired and they have a lot of places to just sit and relax or you could just take a quick nap under the shade of trees. With this, the four island tour ends and you can head back to your hotels to shower and get some rest!
Krabi Ao Thalane Mangrove Kayak Trip
If you love kayaking or want to try it for the first time, this is the perfect activity for you. They have various kayaking packages that include kayaking and ATV adventure. We were lazy people so we picked the half day kayaking package. The water is shallow in most places and its an incredibly beautiful route. However, if this is your first time kayaking, you’re going to get pretty tired. It’s not the rowing but the cramped sitting that got me. Towards the end of it, I found myself praying for land. Despite that, I would still recommend this because it was a great experience.
Who doesn’t love a little pampering?! There are a lot of spas around Aonang, reasonably priced with great service. After a long day of tours or kayaking or other adventures, you definitely need a Foot massage or a Thai massage! We were pretty happy with the massages. However, we made the mistake of getting a manicure and pedicure. All my life a classic mani-pedi routine has started with a soak and then scrub and then nails. Here, when they give a mani-pedi all they do is just your nails. No soaking, no scrubbing, no pampering at all. They just cut your nails and shape them. And the cuticle removal was just painful and I had to get back home and redo a mani-pedi to correct the one I got there. All spas have listed mani-pedi but if you ask, they will say that they do only nails. And if you want a soak and a scrub that’s a ‘foot scrub’ which is a whole other thing! So we felt a bit ripped off and without the soak, it was quite painful! So, do confirm if the mani-pedi is actually that or just a nail-cutting session before they start!
- Make sure you have a good sunscreen on. The sun is not going to be kind!
- You need to look around and find a good tour deal. I recommend the agency next to Ancora Blu Bistro and Bar. We did a lot of comparisons and got the best rates here.
- We really wanted to explore the Night Market. Unfortunately, it’s only there on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and we weren’t. But if you get there on the weekend, definitely go.
- We visited Koh Phi Phi on a trip before. But if you haven’t you definitely should! It’s about an hour from Krabi but it is paradise on Earth!
- The Blue Dragon Cabaret Show: We did not go for this. But I feel the need to mention it here mostly as a warning. During evenings near Aonang beach, you will find a lot of the performers on the streets. They will badger you to get tickets. And then sweetly suggest you take selfies with them. However, they will force you to tip them for the selfie, even if you didn’t ask for it. Even at the show, this happens. We heard, they will take selfies and pics with your family and then demand around 100 Baht per head, for the pics! So, beware.
With that, we come to the end of this post! Now Thai cuisine is one of the best in the world! So my next post is about all the lovely food we had and which restaurants to go to and which to avoid! So keep reading!